Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Family Fun Day, well for the kids that is

Last week Diva had an appointment with her diabetic doctor. It went good. She’s growing, her numbers looked good and I think we are going to do a trial with a continuous glucose sensor. (I’m not going to get into that right now though because nothing has been set up yet, hopefully I’ll have an update on that soon.)

Anyway, it was also “Family Fun Day”. They take the kids and play games, have snack and they can win prizes. What’s really nice about it is they are around kids that have to do the same thing they do. Everyone has to check blood sugar. Diva “won” a Barbie in a swimsuit and was thrilled! Day made.

While the kids are having fun playing games the parents get together in a room and visit. Ask questions, share experiences, etc. I wouldn’t say it’s “fun” but it was nice. It was nice to hear the other parents have the same fears as us. It was nice to hear that they struggle sometimes too and it was really nice to hear the sound of hope. Hope for constant improvement.

As we went around the room and introduced ourselves we shared how old our children were when they were diagnosed and how old they are now. We were the second to “newest” parents there – with 7 months since our T1D diagnosis. There was a mother/grandmother there. They had recently found out the son has T1D (like not even a month yet). They didn’t talk much. They sat and listened. And they held back tears. I felt so bad for them. I know how they are feeling. Heck – I still hold back tears sometimes and it’s been 7 months. It’s a lot to take in. It’s overwhelming. It’s sad. It just is. I wanted to go give them a hug and tell them that we are all there. We are there to ask questions to. We are there to cry with. We are just there. And I wanted to tell them that it really does get better! About that time all the kids came back and Diva had to go to the bathroom. I took her and when we got back they were gone. I will always regret not saying something to this mom and grandmother. Maybe I’ll see them at next year’s Fun Day.

This was a great reminder for me – you never know what struggles a person/family is going through. So be kind often. I’m not sure where the below quote originally came from. But they are wise words, that I’ll take a little more to heart now.

be kind

XOXO

~ The Sheiliac

No comments:

Post a Comment