Tuesday, November 25, 2014

I may not have gone where I intended to go…

Family Photo in turkey barn 2007

“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.”

I’m a farmer’s wife.

I grew up in the country. It took thirty minutes for me to get to school or to see my friends. It drove me crazy. I always said I wouldn’t marry a farmer and I certainly wasn’t going to live in the country. I liked the city. I liked the action and I loved the convenience.

The funny thing is – I loved growing up in the country. My grandma who farmed lived just down the road, so did my cousins Billie and Lindsey (they really are more like sisters though). We played in the pasture, we got to feed the baby calves, and we jumped hay bales. It was awesome. We had so much fun and I have more wonderful memories than I can count.

Then I went to Iowa State University. I loved everything about it. There was always something to do or see. I started out as a psychology major but after a year I realized that wasn’t for me. I switched to Communication Studies and Political Science. I was hooked. I decided I was moving to Washington D.C. and was going to be someone…

Then I met Chad – a turkey farmer. My response was, “There are turkey farms in Iowa?!” Wow – I’ve learned so much since then! Long story short, I didn’t go to Washington D.C. – I married the turkey farmer and live in the country. One of my favorite quotes is “I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be” – it describes my situation perfectly. Little did I know that being a farmer was being someone – someone who helps feed the world. I’m proud to say I’m married to a farmer.

XOXO

~ The Sheiliac

No comments:

Post a Comment