Thursday, March 26, 2015

Power Naps, make you more productive?!

I don’t want to admit it but there are days that I sit at my desk and stare at my computer. It’s not that I don’t have anything to do, in fact my list is 2 pages long and I have exactly 6 piles of papers/magazines/cookbooks on my desk at this exact moment. But some days, I just can’t focus. I’m tired. And it takes every ounce of my being just to keep my eyes open.

Then I received an email from Successful Meeting with the link to this article http://www.successfulmeetings.com/Strategy/SM-How-To/How-to-Squeeze-in-a-Power-Nap-at-Work/?cid=eltrHowTo. At first, I thought, “this is ridiculous”. If I am going to nap I want it to be for a good 2 hours (at least). AND I want to be in my bed or my couch with my pillow and a big blanket. Plus – who could sleep at the office? And seriously, what boss allows this?

Then today happened. I couldn’t focus and I was staring at my computer thinking of everything I needed to get done. I remembered the article and thought “what the heck? It’s worth 30 minutes of my time. I’m not getting anything done anyway.” So I told my co-worker that I was going to go try a power nap in the back room. I was setting my alarm and would be back at my desk in 30 minutes.

PowerNap spotMy power nap spot Smile

I got on the little couch and tried to fall asleep. I didn’t think it was going to happen. Next thing I know I’m waking up (it’s 20 minutes later and 10 minutes before my alarm was set to go off). I got up and went back to my desk. You know what? I do feel better, I’m still tired but not focused on keeping my eyes open, which means I can focus at the tasks at hand. Sweet.

Am I going to be able to take a Power Nap everyday. Ha! Absolutely not, but at least I know 20 minutes can help get me back on track! Try it out next time you can’t focus or can’t seem to keep your eyes open.

XOXO

~ The Sheiliac

No comments:

Post a Comment